Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Fawcett (Ballykinlettragh)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Fawcett (Ballykinlettragh) The Fawcetts were resident on the townlands of Ballykinlettragh, parish of Kilfian, and Ballinglen, parish of Doonfeeny, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, at the time of the first Ordnance Survey c 1838. Lewis records Mount Glynne, the residence of J. Faussett, and Gross Lodge of R. Faussett. John and Richard Fausett MD were brothers and they had sisters: Jane who married Reverend Francis Little, Anne who married Andrew Watts and Mary who married Robert Mostyn. John Fawcett was agent to his sister, Mrs Watts, who was leasing Glencolry Lower from the Knoxes of Castlereagh. John Fausett married Matilda, widow of John Knox of Stoneville, Crossmolina. They were also connected to the Bournes family of Rossport.
Bingham (Bingham's Castle) The Bingham family of Newbrook, parish of Robeen, county Mayo, later Barons Clanmorris, inherited half the estate of Sir Arthur Shaen in the barony of Erris through a marriage in 1738. Denis Bingham, a younger son, settled in the Belmullet peninsular in the late 1790s and built Bingham's Castle. The Binghams of Erris are descended from him and from his brother, Henry of Annagh. Theresa Bingham Daly lists the undivided moiety of the Binghams in the barony of Erris in a quote from the will of Henry Bingham of Newbrook, dated 22 Dec 1789 (see page 78). The Binghams also held land in the parish of Kilfian, barony of Tirawley, which was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1855. In the previous year almost 13,000 acres were offered for sale in the barony of Erris by the Bingham family. In 1876 Denis Bingham owned 4827 acres in county Mayo, Arthur Shaen Bingham of Doolough owned 1662 acres and female members of the family, mainly residing in Kingstown and Dalkey, county Dublin, owned another 17,000 acres, see the family trees in McCalmont's book. Much of Denis Bingham's estate in the barony of Erris was sold in the Landed Estates' Court in 1878. Property owned by Elizabeth Eleanor and Gerald Henry Bingham, in the barony of Erris, was advertised for sale in the Land Judges' Court in November 1889.
Watts Quinn writes that a Cromwellian soldier named Watts was granted the estate known as Mount Falcon, in the parish of Ballynahaglish, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo and that his descendants were eventually bought out by the Knoxes. This was Captain Edward Watts who was granted over 2,000 acres in the barony of Tirawley in 1668. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record that a Mrs Ann Watts, (widow of Andrew), leased part of the townland of Glencalry Lower, parish of Doonfeeny and that John Fawcett was her agent. John Fawcett/Fausett was also her brother. Lewis records Mrs Watts of Glynne Castle, parish of Dunfeeny. Her two daughters, Maria and Frances, married Samuel and Henry Bournes of Rossport.
Little At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Reverend Francis Little, held two townlands in the parish of Doonfeeny, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, previously part of the Knox of Castlereagh estate. In 1819 he had married Jane Fausett, sister of John Fausett. In 1867 this small estate was put up for sale in the Landed Estates' Court by John and William Little. The Irish Times reports that it was sold to Colonel Knox Gore for over £4000.
Bournes In 1707 the Bournes family, Cromwellian settlers from Castle Connor, county Sligo, acquired lands in the Rossport area, barony of Erris, county Mayo, from Sir Arthur Shaen. Branches of the family were established at Rossport, Carrownaglogh or Stonefield and Portacloy, parish of Kilcommon. In 1855 George Smith Bournes, eldest son of Samuel Bournes of Rossport House and his wife Maria Watts, daughter of Andrew Watts of Ballinglen, county Mayo married Elizabeth Hartley Isabella Wallace, eldest daughter of Charles P. Wallace formerly of Lime Park, county Galway. The Countess of Wessex descends from this marriage, seehttp://www.thepeerage.com/p10414.htm#i104136. Almost 3000 acres of John Bournes estate in county Mayo was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in November 1867 but the sale was adjourned due to only one bid being placed. In 1876 members of the Bournes family living in Clara, county Offaly, owned 5760 acres in county Mayo. Most of the estate was sold to the Land Commission in 1926.