Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Mackey


Estate(s)

Name Description
Commissioners of Woods and Forests In the first half of the 19th century the Commissioners of Woods and Forests, a state department, held land from the Crown in the parish of Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, which they improved by various drainage schemes and other experimental improvements. At the time of Griffith's Valuation they held 5 townlands in the parish. The Appendix to the 34th Report of the Commissioners of Her Majesty's Woods, Forests and Land Revenues 1856, published in the House of Commons Papers Vol 37 page 145 records the purchase of parts of the Kingwilliamstown estate by Nicholas Dunscombe (1,063 acres), Richard Tuohill (1,013 acres), James William Mackey (789 acres), Charles Mackey (587 acres) and Vincent Scully MP (1,014 acres). Kingswilliamstown and Glencollins Upper and Lower, were bought by Vincent Scully who sold them on in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1858 to Nicholas Dunscombe. By the mid 1870s the Commissioners of Woods and Forests only owned 25 acres in county Cork.
Mackey The Appendix to the 34th Report of the Commissioners of Her Majesty's Woods, Forests and Land Revenues 1856, published in the House of Commons Papers Vol 37 page 145 records the purchase of parts of the Kingwilliamstown estate by James William Mackey (789 acres) and Charles Mackey (587 acres) in 1855. In the 1870s Sir James William Mackey of Dublin and Kingwilliamstown owned 1,377 acres in county Cork. He was an alderman of Dublin and had served as Lord Mayor in 1866 and 1873. He was made a knight in 1874. Sir James was the son of Stephen Mackey, a merchant of Dublin. He was born in 1816 and married Hannah Sylvia, daughter of Sylvanus Jones of Kircullen House, county Galway in 1848. Almost 600 acres, the property of Caroline Mackey, was sold in the Landed Estates Court in February 1875. The purchasers included Sir J.W. Mackey and William Blennerhassett.