Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Tuohill


Estate(s)

Name Description
Commissioners of Woods and Forests In the first half of the 19th century the Commissioners of Woods and Forests, a state department, held land from the Crown in the parish of Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, which they improved by various drainage schemes and other experimental improvements. At the time of Griffith's Valuation they held 5 townlands in the parish. The Appendix to the 34th Report of the Commissioners of Her Majesty's Woods, Forests and Land Revenues 1856, published in the House of Commons Papers Vol 37 page 145 records the purchase of parts of the Kingwilliamstown estate by Nicholas Dunscombe (1,063 acres), Richard Tuohill (1,013 acres), James William Mackey (789 acres), Charles Mackey (587 acres) and Vincent Scully MP (1,014 acres). Kingswilliamstown and Glencollins Upper and Lower, were bought by Vincent Scully who sold them on in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1858 to Nicholas Dunscombe. By the mid 1870s the Commissioners of Woods and Forests only owned 25 acres in county Cork.
Tuohill Richard Tuohill a medical doctor of 6 Merrion Square, Dublin, owned 1,779 acres in county Cork, 1,164 acres in county Kerry and 480 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. The Appendix to the 34th Report of the Commissioners of Her Majesty's Woods, Forests and Land Revenues 1856, published in the House of Commons Papers Vol 37 page 145 records the purchase of 1,013 acres of the Kingwilliamstown estate in the parish of Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, by Dr Richard Tuohill in April 1855, for £1,620.