Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Stubbs


Estate(s)

Name Description
Chinnery The Chinnerys came from Suffolk and settled in county Cork in the mid 17th century. John Chinnery of Mallow was granted Castlecor and other lands amounting to 1,673 acres in 1666. He had two sons, George of Castlecor, and Nicholas of Flintfield. Nicholas married Margaret O'Callaghan of Clonmeen, county Cork, and it was their granddaughter who married her cousin, Sir Brodrick Chinnery, 1st Baronet in 1768. Sir Brodrick was the grandson of George Chinnery and a brother of the Right Reverend George Chinnery, Bishop of Cloyne. His uncle, John Chinnery, had sold Castlecor to William Freeman. Sir Brodrick was created a baronet in 1799 and was Member of Parliament for Bandon in 1802. Sir Brodrick Chinnery, 2nd Baronet, of Flintfield, married Diana Elizabeth Vernon of Clontarf Castle, county Dublin and they do not appear to have resided at Flintfield. Their only son, Sir Nicholas Chinnery, 3rd Baronet, and his wife were killed by a train in 1868. The 3rd Baronet's only child, a daughter, married in 1864 the Reverend James Robert Alexander Haldane, Bishop of Argyll and the Isles. He assumed the additional name of Chinnery. The Chinnery estate was situated in the parishes of Cullen, barony of Duhallow, and Drishane, barony of West Muskerry, county Cork. Lands belonging to Lord Muskerry and Maria Chinnery were sold in the Landed Estates Court in March, 1865. The purchasers were Messers. Evans, Nagle and Prin. [A Richard Brodrick Chinnery owned 239 acres in county Cork in the 1870s]. Chinnery is spelt Genry in some parts of Griffith's Valuation.
Stubbs Thomas Troubridge Stubbs of London came to Ireland in the 1830s and settled at Ballyshannon, county Donegal. In 1839 he married Elizabeth Chinnery daughter of Joseph Folingsby of Belfast and Ballyshannon by his wife Eleanor daughter of Sir Broderick Chinnery. Mrs Stubbs succeeded to part of the Chinnery estate in county Cork following the death of her cousin the Reverend Sir Nicholas Chinnery baronet in 1868. H.C. Stubbs of Dublin owned over 2,000 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.