Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Goff


Estate(s)

Name Description
Goff This family were descended from the Goff family of Kingstown, Dublin who had married into the Caulfield family. In 1828 Robert Goff was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Goff estate included the demesne at Oakport, near Boyle. In 1863 Oakport demesne and other lands were advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court. A lithograph of the house is included in the sale rental. Later the main family seat was at Carrowroe House, parish of Roscommon. The family also held townlands in the parish of Baslick, barony of Castlerea, Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South and Killukin, barony of Roscommon. In the 1870s three Goff brothers owned about 9,000 acres in county Roscommon. Over 1,200 acres belonging to Thomas C. E. Goff were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 17 June 1912 and 560 acres belonging to James C. Goff on 31 Mar 1915.
Corr Henry Corr held land from the Goffs at Derrane, parish of Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon in the first half of the 19th century. In the 1850s he also held Cloonyquin, parish of Elphin, barony of Roscommon, presumably from the French family. Luke Corr of Durham is mentioned in newspaper reports of the trial of Owen Beirne for the murder of the Reverend John Lloyd in 1847, see http://www.obeirnefamily.cwc.net/issue4/Owen%20Beirne%202.htm In another source Luke Corr is recorded as owning 1,454 acres in county Galway while George Corr and others owned 1,040 acres in the same county. 235 acres held by Miss Marie Corr at Derham or Durham 'now called Garvoher' was advertised for sale in January 1861 and again in January 1875. The Irish Times of January 1861 reports that one lot was purchased by a Mr. Drought. In the 1870s Miss Maria Corr of Derrane owned 27 acres in county Roscommon. The Sandys family also held some land in Derrane including Durham Lodge. James Sandys of Durham Lodge owned 158 acres in the 1870s.
Burke (Carrowroe) In the 1870s John Burke of Carrowroe Park, Roscommon, owned 2941 acres in county Roscommon.