John Armstrong, a member of a county Fermanagh family, was living at South Hill, Clifden, county Galway, circa 1840. He was married to Letitia Pratt de Montmorency. This Armstrong family also resided at Graigaverne, county Laois and held land at Ballybeg, barony of Iffa and Offa and Quartercross, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary, which was advertised for sale in March 1862. In 1881 John Armstrong's youngest son William married Kathleen Lushington of Rodmersham, Kent. When she was left a substanial inheritance by her aunt Mrs Tulloch in 1884 they returned from America where they had been cattle ranching and in 1890 bought Shanboolard Hall and estate. Four years later they bought the former estate of Thomas Prior, 1140 statute acres and Ross House. Most of the estate was sold to the Congested Districts Board in 1921.