Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Power (Faithlegg)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Power/O'Neill Power (Snowhill) The Powers of Snowhill, county Kilkenny, descend from David Power, third son of Pierce Power of Knockaderry, county Waterford, at the end of the 17th century. In 1780 Nicholas Power of Snowhill married Rachel, daughter of Edward O'Neill of Dublin and the name O'Neill appears as a christian name in many succeeding generations. In the mid 19th century Nicholas Power held land in the parish of Kiltinan and David O'Neill Power held land in the parish of Killeenasteena, both in the barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. In May 1868, the estate of David's grandsons Nicholas and Joseph O'Neill Power in the barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary (1,242 acres) and in the baronies of Middlethird and Decies without Drum in county Waterford (1,780 acres), was advertised for sale. The Irish Times provides details of the purchasers, who included the Marquis of Ormonde. Earlier, in May 1850, over 500 acres of the estate of Nicholas Power, of Belview, county Kilkenny and W.E. Hayden, of Queen's County, situated in the barony of Upperthird, county Waterford, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. Nicholas O'Neill Power held townlands in the parish of Mothel, barony of Upperthird, county Waterford at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Edward O'Neill-Power was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Drumcannon and Kilbride, barony of Middlethird, county Waterford then. David O'Neill Power was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Ballynakill and Kill St. Lawrence, barony of Gaultiere in 1848. Joseph O'Neill Power owned 4,524 acres in county Waterford, 7 acres in county Tipperary and 3,788 acres in county Kilkenny in the 1870s.
Power (Faithlegg) Nicholas Mahon Power, of Faithlegg House, was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Ballynakill and Faithlegg, barony of Gaultiere, county Waterford, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He served as MP for Waterford in the mid-nineteenth century. The Power of Faithlegg estate amounted to almost 4700 acres in county Waterford in the 1870s as well as lands in county Wexford.