Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Onge


Estate(s)

Name Description
Eastwood A farm of just over 900 acres was leased by Robert Graham to Thomas Eastwood on 10 May 1847 for ever at an annual rent of £90. Eastwood began to reclaim the land and had built a house by the time of Griffith's Valuation. The Graham interest in the lands of Addergoole and Barnaugh appears to have been sold to Charles Richardson by Robert Graham in 1859 and by Richardson to Mitchell Henry in July 1878. Eastwood's lease of Addergoole was advertised for sale in July 1862 and the sale rental includes a lithograph of Kylemore Pass and a substantial house. The property was bought by Mitchell Henry and became the location of the Kylemore Model Home Farm. The Gentleman's Magazine of 1855 records the marriage of Thomas F. Eastwood, second son of Thomas Eastwood of Brindle Lodge, Lancashire and Maria Louisa, eldest daughter of Abel Onge of Hayestown, county Dublin, in November 1854, at Moyard Church.
Webb (Maidstown, Knocktoran & Woodville) The Webbs were resident at Maidstown Castle, county Limerick in the first half of the 18th century. Daniel Webb, an author on works of art, was born at Maidstown circa 1718. The Webbs intermarried with the Monck, Gubbins and Apjohn families. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, James Napier Webb held an estate in the parishes of Cahernarry, Ballingaddy and Effin, barony of Coshlea, county Limerick. He married firstly his first cousin, Anne Monck, and secondly, Anna Gubbins, but died childless in 1888. The Webb house at Knocktoran in the parish of Knocklong, was built post-Griffith's Valuation. The Webbs also had a residence at Woodville, county Tipperary. Daniel James Webb held the townland of Woodville from the Carden estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to Captain Webb of Templemore as the proprietor of townlands in the parish of Dolla, barony of Upper Ormond. On 17 June 1853 James Napper Webb leased the lands of Whitefield or Garranbane in the parish of Loughmoe West, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary, to Dive Onge and his wife Rebecca nee Irvine. The Onges sold their interest to Nicholas J. Harrison, who advertised the lands for sale again in June 1871. In the 1870s James Napier Webb owned 1,035 acres in county Limerick and Charles Daniel Webb owned 720 acres in county Tipperary.
Onge In 1787 Elizabeth Onge, eldest daughter of Abel Onge married George Massey, a younger son of the 1st Baron Massy. The Onges were a merchant family of Dublin, who resided at Hayestown, county Dublin, in the 18th and 19th centuries. Another Abel Onge married Catherine, daughter of Robert Persse of Roxborough, Loughrea, county Galway, [circa 1830]. In 1854 Maria Louisa, eldest daughter of Abel Onge, married Thomas F. Eastwood at Moyard, county Galway. On 17 June 1853 James Napper Webb leased the lands of Whitefield or Garranbane in the parish of Loughmoe West, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary, to Dive Onge and his wife Rebecca nee Irvine. The Onges sold their interest to Nicholas J. Harrison in 1852, who advertised the lands for sale in June 1871. In June 1858 the estate of Rebecca Onge and Dive Onge, about 700 acres in the parish of Loughmoe East, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale.