Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Biggs (Co Tipperary)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Biggs (Bellevue) Samuel Dixon [Dickson] Biggs held three townlands in the parish of Killeenagarriff, barony of Clanwilliam and two townlands in the parish of Ballingarry, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick, at the the time of Griffith's Valuation. His county Tipperary estate was in the parishes of Kilbarron, Loughkeen and Terryglass, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary. The representatives of Mrs Biggs also held land in the parish of Bruree, barony of Coshma, county Limerick. The Biggs were a county Tipperary family. In 1807 George Washington Biggs of Bellevue, county Tipperary, married Anne, daughter of Samuel Dickson of Ballynaguile, county Limerick. Samuel Dickson Biggs was their second son. He owned 557 acres in county Limerick and 1,075 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s while his younger brother, Stephen Dickson Biggs, owned 1,117 acres in county Limerick.
Biggs (Castle Biggs) In 1666 John Briggs (sic) was granted lands in the parish of Kilbarran, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary including Mota, with lands in the parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare, county Galway. The Castle Biggs estate was held under a lease dated 11 October 1711 from Godfrey Boate of Dublin and Benjamin Frend of King's County (Offaly) to William Biggs of Cloughjordan, county Tipperary. Part of the estate was offered for sale in 1852, Henry James and Edward A. Blackett of Leeds were the purchasers. Further parts of the estate (Edward Biggs owner) which was situated on the banks of Lough Derg in the parish of Terryglass, was advertised for sale in 1853 when it amounted to 1,112 acres. Captain Tuthill was the purchaser. (see http://www.igp-web.com/tipperary/estates/est_news.htm) ''Walker's Hibernian Magazine'' records the marriage in 1805 of William Ledger Biggs of Castle Biggs and Fidelia Matilda Meagher, daughter of William Meagher of Bleakfield, Queen's County (Laois). In 1867 Samuel Biggs sold property in the barony of Lower Ormond in the Landed Estates Court. The purchaser was Mr. J.S.Clarke.
Tuthill (Drominagh) Another branch of the Tuthill family descend from George Tuthill who married as his second wife, Anne Chateaureuf, in 1747. Their descendant, Captain William Tuthill, purchased the Biggs estate at Drominagh and Gortmore in 1853 (''Nenagh Guardian'', 20 Nov 1853). William Tuthill held land in the parish of Burgesbeg, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1835 he married Frances Taylor of Dublin and they had a son,Charles Edward Tuthill. William Tuthill of Fitzwilliam Square, Dublin, owned 1,307 acres in county Tipperary. William had a brother Marcus who lived at Mota. The estate of Robert Tuthill in the barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary was advertised for sale in 1858. Part of the lands of Garrykennedy, the estate of Samuel and Elizabeth Poe continued in the name of Charles Tuthill junior and Sarah Tuthill and Robert Tuthill junior, was advertised for sale in February 1869. A newspaper report records the purchase of their holdings by the Tuthill tenants of Drominagh and Shanakill in 1904, see http://www.igp-web.com/tipperary/estates/est_news.htm