Another branch of the Atkinsons of Rahans, Co Mayo.
|Atkinson (Rahans)||According to Burke's ''Landed Gentry'' the Atkinsons were Elizabethean settlers. On 5 July 1742 they were given a lease of Rahans, parish of Ballynahaglish, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, by James O'Hara, Lord Tyrawley. The estate of 1244 acres was sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court following the death in 1849 of Charles Atkinson, the coroner for North Mayo. Rahans was bought by George Orme in 1855 and the Atkinsons moved to Ballylahan in the parish of Templemore. Matthew Atkinson, a Dublin lawyer and brother of the coroner, who bought land in the Encumbered Estates Court in the barony of Erris, was a member of this family.|
|Atkinson (Glencastle)||Matthew Atkinson, a Dublin lawyer and son of Charles Atkinson of Rahans, parish of Ballynahaglish, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, bought land in the barony of Erris in the 1850s, including land leased from the Carter family by George Tollett. In 1876 his widow held 5317 acres in county Mayo. By March 1916 she had accepted an offer from the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of her estate.|
|Tollett||The Reverend John Tollett came to the parish of Kilcommon Erris, county Mayo, with the group of English Protestant settlers introduced by Sir Arthur Shaen in the early 18th century. George Tollett sold his estate at Moyrahan, parish of Kilmore, barony of Erris, county Mayo, to Mathew Atkinson in April 1850.|