William Gibson purchased the Rockforest estate, county Tipperary, [in the 1850s.] By his first wife, Louisa Grant of Dublin, he had five sons and a daughter. His second son, Edward, Attorney General for Ireland 1877-1880, was created Baron Ashbourne in 1885. William died in 1872 and was succeeded by his eldest son, Captain William Gibson of Rockforest, Roscrea, county Tipperary, who owned 5,214 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. A headstone in Mount Shannon Church of Ireland cemetery, county Clare, marks the burial place of the Captain's eldest son, Major William Gibson, who was born at Rockforest in 1874 and died in 1957. see www.clarelibrary.ie/. In the 1880s Bateman recorded the Gibson estate in county Tipperary at over 5,200 acres.