Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Hutchinson (Timoney)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Parker (Castlelough & Ballyvalley) Captain John Parker was granted 1,242 acres in the barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary in 1667. Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland (1904) states that the Parker family were established at Dunkipp, county Limerick, in the late 17th century. Early generations married members of the Irby and Massy families. In 1761 Anthony Parker married Anne, daughter of Standish Grady of Elton, county Limerick. They were the parents of Anthony, the Reverend Standish and William of Ballyvally. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, William Parker held land in the parish of Kilseily, barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare and the representatives of Anthony Parker held land in the parishes of Castlelyons and Clondulane, barony of Condons and Clangibbon, county Cork. The Ordnance Survey Name Books indicate that Rev. Standish Parker of Castlelough owned lands in the parish of Ardfert, county Kerry in the 1830s. At the same time the representatives of the Reverend Standish Grady Parker held an estate in the parishes of Castletownarra and Youghalarra, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary. Thomas and William Parker also held land in this locality while the estate of John Parker was in the parish of Glenkeen, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper. In the 1870s Anthony Parker of Castlelough, Killaloe, county Limerick owned 60 acres in county Clare, 643 acres in county Cork and 3,806 acres in county Tipperary. His uncle, William Parker of Ballyvalley, owned 588 acres in county Clare. John Parker of Brookfield owned 1,711 acres and William Parker of Landsdowne, Portross owned 647 acres in county Tipperary. In 1867 Anthony Parker of Castlelough married Anna Hutchinson of Timoney Park, Roscrea and in 1891 their son Standish Grady John Parker assumed the additional name of Hutchinson and inherited Timoney Park. The lands of Boolaglass, near Nenagh, were advertised for sale in October 1865, the estate of Thomas and Anthony Parker.
Hutchinson (Timoney) In 1681 James Hutchinson of county Tipperary, son of a Cromwellian soldier, married Jane Bennet and had two sons. The eldest, James, inherited the Knockballymagher estate and the younger, John, inherited the Timoney estate. In 1821 William Henry Hutchinson of Knockballymagher married Sarah, daughter of John Birch of Shee Hills and their only child Sarah Anne married Edward C. Minchin of Greenhills. In 1791 John of Timoney's grandson, William Hutchinson married Anna, daughter and co heir of John Dawson Coates, a Dublin banker, and came to possess estates in a number of counties. At the time of Griffith's Valuation their son John Dawson Hutchinson's county Tipperary estate was in the parishes of Bourney and Corbally, barony of Ikerrin, county Tipperary. In the 1870s he owned 2,576 acres in county Tipperary and 2,442 acres in Queen's County. In 1844 John Dawson Hutchinson married as his second wife, Eliza Hannah, daughter of George Waller of Prior Park and widow of William Henry Hutchinson of Knockballymagher. They had one daughter Anna Christiana who married in 1867 Anthony Parker of Castle Lough, county Tipperary. Their son Standish Grady John Parker assumed the additional surname of Hutchinson in 1891 and succeeded to Timoney Park. The estate was divided by the Land Commission in the 1930s.
Vaughan (Golden Grove) The Vaughans of Golden Grove or Knocknamase, county Offaly, were of Welsh origin and settled in King's County (Offaly) and Tipperary in the late 17th century. John Vaughan was granted lands in counties Limerick and Tipperary and in Queens and Kings Counties in 1670. His Munster estate amounted to 1,837 acres. In 1764 William Peisley Vaughan married Mary, daughter of Bishop Synge of Killaloe. Wilson, writing in 1786, refers to Golden Grove as the seat of Mr. Vaughan. In 1822 their eldest daughter, Martha, married John Lloyd, fourth son of John Lloyd of Gloster. They had an only daughter, Mary, who succeeded her uncle, William P. Vaughan, at Golden Grove in 1842. The following year Mary Vaughan Lloyd married Samuel Dawson Hutchinson of Mount Heaton, county Offaly, fourth son of William Hutchinson of Timoney. S.D. Hutchinson assumed the additional name of Lloyd Vaughan. Mary died in 1845 leaving an only son, William Peisley Hutchinson Lloyd Vaughan. He succeeded his grand uncle, Hardress Lloyd of Gloster, in 1860 and, in 1869, married Elizabeth H. Darby of Leap Castle, King's County. Dawson H. Vaughan held two townlands in the parish of Roscrea at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s W.P.H.L. Vaughan of Golden Grove owned 498 acres in county Tipperary and 3,748 acres in county Offaly.