Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Cambie


Estate(s)

Name Description
Cambie In 1667 Major Solomon Camby was granted over 1,700 acres in the barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary and about 90 acres in the barony of Forth, county Wexford. In the mid 19th century S.L. [Solomon Lalor] Cambie held the townland of Killoran, 1,594 acres in the barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary, from Richard Thompson. Solomon Lalor Cambie was a grandson of Thomas Lalor of Killoran, son of Jeremiah Lalor of Barnagrotty. In the 1870s Thomas L. Cambie of Killoran owned 1,721 acres and Mary L. Cambie of Templemore owned 1,047 acres in county Tipperary [or the city of Limerick see Hussey]. Thomas Lalor Cambie died in 1896 and was succeeded at Killoran by his sisters Ellen and Margaret. In the mid 19th century Solomon D. Cambie and Charles Cambie both held land in the parish of Kilbarron, barony of Lower Ormond. In June 1856 the lands of Castletown and others amounting to 469 acres in the barony of Lower Ormond, the estate of Charles Cambie, were advertised for sale. The original lease renewable for ever was from Charles Sadlier to Anne Chambie, dated 1 February 1747. Margaret Lane married as her first husband Solomon Richard Cambie of Kilgarvan and secondly in 1846 Ambrose Lynch Berry, see http://genforum.genealogy.com/macaulay/messages/1720.html The interest of Ambrose Lynch Berry in various lands in county Tipperary was advertised for sale in April 1854.
Thompson (Killoran) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Richard Thompson was the owner of the townland of Killoran, parish of Moyne, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary, which he leased to Solomon Lalor Cambie. Richard acquired this property in the late 1830s by the will of Eleanor Burke, nee Everard (see ''Reports of cases argued and determined in the High Courtof Chancery'', I (1844), p. 569). In the 1870s the Reverend W.H. Thompson, England, owned 1,479 acres in county Tipperary.
Minchin (Busherstown) Humphrey Minchin was granted 1,271 acres in the barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary in 1668. His brother Charles Minchin was granted about 500 acres in the same barony in 1667 and bought the Annagh estate from Major Solomon Cambie in 1669 and the Ballinakill estate from Sir Richard Stephens in 1680. From Charles descend the various branches of the Minchin family. The senior branch of the family descend from Humphrey Minchin of Ballinakill Castle and Busherstown, county Offaly. Ballinakill Castle was sold by Humphrey's son Paul in the mid 18th century and estates were purchased in England. In the mid 19th century the English branch of the family still held an estate in the parishes of Bourney, Corbally and Rathnaveoge, barony of Ikerrin, county Tipperary. In 1869 Henry James Bunbury of Holywell, Hants and Lord of the Manor of Soberton died, leaving his English estates to his nephew Falkiner John Minchin of Annagh. H.J.B. Minchin's sister Georgina married in 1829 William Minchin of Annagh, county Tipperary descended from John Minchin, fourth son of the original Charles. The Busherstown property continued in the possession of the family of Humphrey, third son of Humphrey of Ballinakill Castle. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Humphrey held land in the parish of Rathnaveoge, barony of Ikerrin, county Tipperary. In the 1870s his son George John Minchin of Busherstown owned 432 acres in county Tipperary, 392 in county Limerick and 1,340 acres in King's County.
Towers The Towers family had property in counties Meath and Tipperary in the early 18th century. Reverend Anthony Towers, grandson of Thomas Towers of Archerstownstown, county Meath and of the manor of Borrisokane, married Alicia Cullen in 1765. Their son, Thomas Towers, resided at Bushy Park and, in 1795, married Mary Wise of London. In 1828 their son, Thomas Towers, married Elizabeth, eldest daughter of David Cambie of Castletown. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Thomas Towers held at least five townlands in the vicinity of Borrisokane, county Tipperary, including much of the town. In June 1852 his estate consisting of 1,668 acres was advertised for sale. Some of it was bought by David Clarke. In the 1870s Benjamin W. Towers of Castletown, Borrisokane, owned 484 acres in county Tipperary.