Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Fogarty


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lenigan (Castle Fogarty) In 1788 James Fogerty of Castle Fogarty, near Thurles, county Tipperary, died childless and his sister Elizabeth, who had married William Lenigan of Zoar, county Kilkenny, inherited the Fogarty estate. At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Lenigan's estate was located in the parishes of Ballycahill and Moyaliff, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper. In the 1870s James Lenigan owned 1,604 acres in county Tipperary. Penelope Elizabeth Marie Lenigan, daughter of James, left the estate to her cousin, John Vivian Ryan, son of John Denis Ryan of the Inch family and his wife Anna Elizabeth Lenigan. John Vivian Ryan took the additional name of Lenigan in 1878.
Fogarty The O'Fogartys were a prominent family in the Thurles locality of county Tipperary in the mid 16th century. By the end of the 17th century the family was resident at Castle Fogarty. In 1788 James Fogerty died childless and his sister Elizabeth, who had married William Lenigan of Zoar, county Kilkenny, inherited the Fogarty estate.