In the 1870s Thomas Dowling of Henry Street, Tipperary, owned 1,437 acres (Cappawhite locality) in county Tipperary. The estate of Thomas Dowling at Clonbrick and Cotifiagh, barony of Clanwilliam was advertised for sale in November 1882. The tenant was Richard Cooper Chadwick. It was offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in July 1885. During the sale hearing Thomas Dowling indicated that he had purchased the property thirteen years previously for over £4000. It was sold at this hearing to David Clarke, a silk manufacturer from Macclesfield, England, for £3600.