Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Grene


Estate(s)

Name Description
Barry (Friarstown) A junior branch of the Barrys of Buttevant, county Cork, settled in the barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick, in the 16th century. By the mid 17th century they were established at Friarstown, which they possibly acquired under the protection of the Ingoldsby family. Later they held much of their estate from the Kellys who purchased the Ingoldsby Massy estate. John Barry of Friarstown married Mary O'Shaughnessy and they had three sons, James of Bellevue, Thomas of Caherline and John of Sandville. The estate of Thomas Barry at Ballysallagh, Caherline and Bawnbee, barony of Clanwilliam, was advertised for sale in March 1860. The Barry estate was in the parish of Rochestown and in the 1870s amounted to 644 acres belonging to James Grene Barry of Sandville. By the mid 19th century James Barry of Sandville had acquired the townland of Ballyphilip, parish of Croom, barony of Coshma, formerly the property of the Yielding family. see http://www.libraryireland.com/Pedigrees1/Barry3Ithe.php
Grene From the 1830s, John Grene or Greene held land in the barony of Kilnamanagh Lower, county Tipperary, from Robert and Helen Usher. His daughter Maria married James Barry of Sandville, county Limerick, in 1837. His son, Nicholas Biddulph Greene, held the townland of Clonaspoe in the parish of Oughterleague, barony of Kilnamanagh Lower from the representatives of Robert Usher at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He also held land in the parish of Glenkeen, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper, while John Greene and Francis Greene held land in the parishes of Clonoulty, barony of Kilnamanagh Lower and Relickmurry and Athassel, barony of Clanwilliam. The latter was held from Colonel Ashworth. Nicholas B. Grene, born 1806, married Catherine, only daughter of Clement Willliam Sadlier of Shrone Hill, county Tipperary, and was succeeded by his eldest son, Clement James Grene, in 1882. John Grene of Cappamurra married Anna Maria Delaney and died in 1877 when he was succeeded by his eldest son, James William Grene. In the 1870s John Grene of Dublin owned 611 acres and Nicholas B. Grene of Grenepark owned 791 acres in county Tipperary.