Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Maude

Family title

Viscount Hawarden, Earl de Monalt


Estate(s)

Name Description
Cooper (Killenure) This family, originally from Surrey, settled at Butterhill in county Wicklow in the 17th century. Following the appointment of William Cooper as Registrar of the Diocese of Cashel, one branch settled at Killenure Castle, county Tipperary in the mid 18th century. William Cooper and his wife, Jane Wayland, had two sons, Samuel of Killenure, agent to the Maude, Damer and Erasmus Smith Schools estates and Austin, an antiquarian and agent to a number of landlords including the 2nd Earl of Leitrim, Baron Milton and Viscount Hawarden. In the mid 19th century Samuel Cooper held land in the parishes of Kilmaleery and Kilnasoolagh, barony of Bunratty Lower, and Kilseily, barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare. The main part of the Cooper estate was in county Tipperary, in the parishes of St Johnbaptist, barony of Middlethird, Cullen and Solloghodbeg, barony of Clanwilliam, Donohill and Oughterleague, barony of Kilnamanagh Lower. In November 1854 the interest of Patrick J. O'Kearney and others in the lands of Ballywalter was advertised for sale, Samuel Cooper was the tenant. He held on a lease dated 28 December 1852. In the 1870s Samuel Cooper of Killenure, Cashel, county Tipperary, owned 826 acres in county Tipperary and 344 acres in county Clare. His brother was Richard Austin Cooper Chadwick. [Another brother, William L. Cooper of England owned 727 acres in county Tipperary].
Maude Robert Maude [of Yorkshire] was granted over 10,000 acres in counties Tipperary, Cork and Meath in 1666. The county Tipperary estate was by far the largest portion and it was situated in the barony of Kilnamanagh. Robert married Frances Wandesford, sister of the 1st Baron Wandesford. In 1671 their son, Anthony Maude, married Alice, daughter of Sir Standish Hartstong Baronet, of Bruff, county Limerick and from their son, Sir Robert Maude, [created a Baronet in 1705] descend the Viscounts Hawarden. By the time of Griffith's Valuation the Hawarden estate in county Tipperary was mainly located in the parishes of Ballintemple, Clonoulty, Dononyill and Kilpatrick, barony of Kilnamanagh Lower. The Viscount's estate in county Tipperary amounted to over 15,000 acres in the 1870s, while the Honourable Mrs Maude of London owned 2,957 acres.