Burke asserts that this family, originally barons of Burnchurch, county Kilkenny, were a branch of the Fitzgeralds of Desmond. They were deprived of their lands during the Cromwellian confiscation and many entered foreign armed service. The family were later associated with Ballyneal, county Waterford, a county where they later acquired significant estates through marriage. Sir Henry Barron owned over 6000 acres in county Waterford in the 1870s. Catherine Barron, of Faha, Kilmacthomas, owned over 1000 acres at the same time. Pierce Barron of Belmond Park, Waterford, was the owner of over 800 acres. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Sir H.W. Barron held townlands in the parishes of Mothel, barony of Upperthird, Ardmore and Ballymacart, barony of Decies-within-Drum and Rathmoylan, barony of Gaultiere. In 1850 three members of the family, Sir Henry, John and Pierce, were all among the principal lessors in the parish of Dunhill, barony of Middlethird. James Barron, of Georgestown House, was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Kilbarrymeadan and Rossmire, barony of Decies-without-Drum. while Pierce and Richard Barron held townlands in the parish of Stradbally in the same barony. In May 1852, over 700 acres of the Barron estate in the barony of Decies-without-Drum were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court by Catherine Jane Barron and others. Morgan Barron offered 300 acres of his estate in the barony of Decies-without-Drum for sale in 1855.The Freeman's Journal reported that the purchasers were James Power and Thomas Shanahan. In 1857 he offered for sale the lands of Fahagh in the same barony. The sale notice states that these lands had been held lease to Pierce Barron from the Earl of Grandison since the 1780s. They were offered for sale again in the Landed Estates Court in November 1859. Over 200 acres owned by Morgan Barron were sold in the Landed Estates Court in January 1862. The Irish Times reports their purchase by a Mr. Meredyth. Catherine and William Henry Barron offered the house and demesne lands at Lackan for sale in the Landed Estates Court in November 1862. Over 1100 acres of this part of the estate was offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in 1885 by Joseph M. Barron and other family members. The estate at Georgestown in the barony of Decies-without-Drum was offered for sale in the name of Pierse John Barron, a minor, in April 1885.