Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Massy (Suir Castle)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Massy The Massy family are descended from a Cromwellian soldier Captain Hugh Massy who was granted 3,055 acres in the barony of Coshlea, county Limerick, for his military services. His grant included the lands of Duntrileague. Two of his great grandsons became the 1st Baron Massy of Duntrileague and the 1st Baron Clarina of Elm Park. During the 18th century Duntrileague was the family seat but in the 19th century their main residence was Hermitage, close to Limerick city. In 1760 Hugh 2nd Baron Massy married Catherine eldest daughter and co heiress with her sister Lady Carrick of Edward Taylor of Ballynort. Ballynort and the Massy interest in the Taylor estate passed to their second son Edward. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Lord Massy is recorded as the immediate lessor of lands principally in the parish of Galbally but also in the parishes of Kilbeheny and Kilbreedy Major, barony of Coshlea and Stradbally, barony of Clanwilliam. In the 1870s Lord Massy owned 8,568 acres in county Limerick and 1,120 acres in county Tipperary however his largest estate was in county Leitrim, amounting to over 24,000 acres in 1878. The Massy family had property in north county Leitrim with the bequest of the White estate at Lareen to John Massy, afterwards 6th Lord Massy. See http://homepage.eircom.net/~fmasters/landlords.html#Massy for more information. In the 1830s the Massy estate also owned property in the parish of Killora, county Galway where the agent was George Falkner of Tipperary. This property seems to have been leased by Richard Rathbourne of Ballymore. It was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in May 1852. Most of the Massy lands were sold in the last two decades of the 19th century and the family residences in the early years of the 20th century.
Massy (Suir Castle) Francis Hugh Massy of Suir Castle, county Tipperary, (born 1755) was the fourth son of the the 1st Baron Massy. His son, also named Francis Hugh, married Anne Bomford Molloy (c.1820s) and in the 1850s held land in the parishes of Magorban, barony of Middlethird, Killardry and Reclickmurry and Athassel, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary. Lands belonging to Francis Massey of Suir Castle in the barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary and an undivided moiety of lands in the barony of Dunkellin, county Galway, were advertised for sale in May 1852. The estate of Francis Massy of Suir Castle amounted to 506 acres in the 1870s.