Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lockwood


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lockwood The Lockwoods were established in the Cashel area of county Tipperary from the early 18th century. A document in the Kilboy Papers refers to Richard Lockwood, the elder, of Cashel, "a rich farmer" and to his son William Lockwood who was married to a daughter of Hamilton Lowe and through his marriage connected to the Bagwell and Butler families. Two other members of the Lockwood family are mentioned and their estates were calculated to be worth £3,400 in the mid 1770s. This family was related to the Manserghs of Grenane and the Chadwicks of Ballinard. Charles B. Lockwood and Major James Scargill held two townlands in the parish of St Patricksrock, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary in the mid 19th century while the Reverend Robert Lockwood held 3 townlands in the parish of Rahelty, barony of Eliogarty (Archerstown, Kyle and Townaghna). The nearby townlands of Corbally and Rathmanna held by Messrs Doherty and Waller in the mid 19th century, may also have been Lockwood property as the Lockwoods had family connections with the Doherty and Waller families. The newspaper ''The Anglo Celt'' (28 July 1848) records the marriage of Gertrude daughter of the Reverend Robert C. Lockwood of Indaville, Cashel, to Charles O'Reilly. Archerstown, Kyle, Townagh and other lands in the barony of Eliogarty, the estate of Christopher H. Lawder, assignee of Richard Lockwood, an insolvent, were advertised for sale in April 1856. In June 1865 houses and premises belonging to Richard Lockwood and others in the town of Cashel were advertised for sale. In the 1870s the representatives of Lockwood and Scott, England, owned 141 acres in county Tipperary.