Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Millett


Estate(s)

Name Description
Palliser A family originally from Yorkshire, the Reverend William Palliser became Archbishop of Cashel in 1694. His daughter Jane married John Bury of Shannon Grove, county Limerick. Their two eldest sons were William, from whom descend the Earls of Charleville, and John, who succeeded his uncle, William Palliser, and assumed that name. He was the ancestor of the Pallisers of Comragh, county Waterford and Derryluskan, county Tipperary. In 1784, his grandson, John Palliser married Grace Barton of Grove and their son, Lieutenant Colonel Wray Palliser, held land mainly in the parish of Crohane, barony of Slievardagh but also in the parishes of Graystown, barony of Slievardagh and Barrettsgrange, Drangan, Knockgraffon, Outeragh and Rathcool, barony of Middlethird. In 1814, Colonel Wray Palliser married Anne, daughter and heir of John Gledstanes of Annesgiflt, county Tipperary. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, his brother, Rev. John B. Palliser, Rector of Clonmel, was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Dunhill and Islandikane, barony of Middlethird, county Waterford while Colonel Palliser held townlands in the parishes of Fews and Kilrossanty, barony of Decies-without-Drum, in the same county. In the 1870s John Palliser (an explorer of Western Canada) of Comragh House owned 3,561 acres in county Tipperary, 9,825 acres in county Waterford and 467 acres in county Kildare (Castlewarden) while Captain William Palliser of Derryluskan, owned 1,026 acres in county Tipperary and 460 acres in county Kilkenny and Wray Bury Palliser of Annestown owned 2,024 acres in county Waterford . The Comeragh and Kilmacthomas properties were later inherited by Caroline Grace Fairholme, niece of Wray Palliser. The ITA survey noted in 1942 that the estate amounted to over 2000 acres that time, mostly mountain. The Fairholme family employed Charles Langlet of Kilmathomas as their agent.
Millett In the mid 19th century Matthew R. Millett held an estate in the parish of Drangan, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary, from Colonel Palliser. The estate (1,476 acres) of John Millett, assignee of Thomas Prince Lloyd in the baronies of Ikerrin and Middlethird was advertised for sale in January 1853. Millett family had associations with Kyle and St Johnstown.