Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bianconi


Estate(s)

Name Description
O'Connell (Barryscourt) Morgan John O’Connell was a son of John O’Connell of Grenagh, county Kerry, and his wife Elizabeth Coppinger and a nephew of Daniel O’Connell of Derrynane Abbey. He inherited the Coppinger estates of his grandfather in counties Cork and Clare following the death of his uncle William Coppinger in 1862. He married Mary Anne a daughter of Charles Bianconi and died in 1875. His representatives owned 1,102 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. His county Clare estate was in the parishes of Killadysert and Kilfiddane, barony of Clonderalaw. In the 1870s his son John Charles William Coppinger O’Connell owned 4,740 acres in county Clare. J.C.W.C. O’Connell assumed the additional surname of Bianconi following the death of his mother in 1908.
Bianconi Charles Bianconi, an Italian, arrived in Ireland in the early 19th century and worked as a travelling salesman in the Tipperary/ Waterford region. By the 1820s he had begun to establish a car transport business for the conveyance of passengers between the main towns. By the mid 19th century Bianconi had become a very wealthy man and held an estate in the parish of Ardmayle, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Charles Bianconi of Longfield, Cashel, owned 2,215 acres in county Tipperary. Bianconi died in 1875.