Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Power (Glencairn Abbey)

Family title

Baronet


Estate(s)

Name Description
Power (Kilfane & Glencairn Abbey) Sir John Power of Kilfane, county Kilkenny, was the son of John Power of Tullamaine Castle, county Tipperary and Jane Newman of Newberry, county Cork and a grandson of John Power of Barrettstown, county Tipperary. He married Harriet Bushe of Kilfane and was made a baronet in 1836. Sir John and Harriet had 6 sons. At the time of Griffith's Valuation their eldest son Sir John Power 2nd Baronet held land in the parishes of Garrangibbon, barony of Iffa and Offa East, Colman and Redcity, barony of Middlethird, Terryglass, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Sir Richard C. Power of Kilfane owned 2,850 acres in county Tipperary, 2,650 acres in county Kilkenny, 266 acres in county Waterford and 367 acres in county Wexford. At the same time the representatives of the Reverend Ambrose Power, Lismore, owned 575 acres and the Misses Georgina and Catherine Power of Tullamaine Villa, Upper Leeson St, Dublin owned 228 and 300 acres respectively in county Tipperary. The estate at Glencairn Abbey came into the Power family through the marriage of Frances Maria Bushe and Ambrose Power, grandson of Sir John Power 1st Baronet in 1884. It amounted to over 600 acres in county Waterford at the time.
Talbot (Ashgrove) At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Reverend Benjamin Talbot and Robert Talbot held land in the townlands of Terryglass and Sheelruddera, parish of Terryglass, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary. The head landlord was Sir John Power. In 1847 the Reverend Benjamin Biggs Talbot married Ruth, daughter of the Reverend Ralph Stoney of Terryglass and Ballynockane. They had one son, Lieutenant Colonel Johnston Stoney Talbot. He died in 1878. In the 1870s the Reverend Benjamin of Ashgrove owned 349 acres, Frances Talbot of Shannonview owned 42 acres and Benjamin Talbot of Shannon Lodge, Borrisokane owned 91 acres in county Tipperary.