Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Musgrave (Waterford)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Musgrave (Waterford) Burke states that the Musgraves were originally descended from a Yorkshire family. The first Richard Musgrave settled in county Waterford and his descendents married into the Chearnley, Englsh and Ussher families. A later Richard was created a baronet in the peerage of Ireland in the 1780s, was a member of parliament and a well-known historian. His grand-nephew, Sir Richard, was the owner of over 8200 acres in county Waterford in the 1870s. His father had been among the principal lessors in the parishes of Lismore and Mocollop, barony of Coshmore and Coshbride, Lisgrenan or Grange, barony of Decies-within-Drum and Kilgobnet and Whitechurch, barony of Decies-without- Drum at the time of Griffith's Valuation.
English Morris notes that Andrew English, of Mothel parish, married Susanna Musgrave, daugher of Richard Musgrave of the Cappoquin family, and inherited the property known as Littlebridge from him in the later eighteenth century. Burke, however, refers to an earlier marriage between a daughter of a Richard Musgrave and a Richard English of Littlebridge. Sadleir, referring to the 1770s, mentions Andrew English "of Mensborough, married to a Miss Musgrave". Pierse English, of Rockfield, Cappoquin, county Waterford, owned over 600 acres in the county in the 1870s. The Littlebridge estate was offered for sale by Andrew English in January 1852. In 1860, Richard and John Christopher English offered for sale over 6000 acres, known as the commons of Clonmel, in the Landed Estates Court.