Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Keily


Estate(s)

Name Description
Keily Morris notes that the Keilys appear as a gentry family in west Waterford in the early eighteenth century. Sarah Keily married Arthur Ussher of Cappagh in 1745. Sadleir refers to Richard Keily of Lismore, married to a Miss Ussher and John Keily of Tyrcullen, married to a Miss Bagwell, in 1775. Other members of the family married into the Musgrave, Keane and Alcock families. By 1850 John Keily was the principal lessor in the parish of Kilcockan, barony of Coshmore Coshbride, county Waterford. In 1856 and 1857 over 5000 acres of his property was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. The sale notice includes a lithograph of Strancally Castle. An adjourned lot, Ballyphillip, was offered for sale in January 1860. Lands at Newport East and West, part of the original Strancally estate, purchased by Patrick Michael O'Keeffe in 1856, were offered for sale by his son, Michael Joseph O'Keeffe in 1868. In the 1870s, John Keily, with an address at Loughlinstown, Dublin, was the owner of over1400 acres in county Waterford. The Keily continued to be associated with the Dungarvan area into the twentieth century, especially in relation to bloodstock rearing.
Gordon (Clonmel) At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Gordon, medical doctor and others held an estate in the parish of Newcastle, barony of Iffa and Offa West, county Tipperary. Other members of the Gordon family were also doctors, including Sir John Gordon. In the early 19th century Samuel Gordon of Spring Gardens in the town of Clonmel, married Jane Keily of Strancally Castle, county Waterford. In January 1863 447 acres at Miltown-Britton and Cappadrummin, barony of Middlethird, the estate of Samuel Gordon, were advertised for sale. Samuel Gordon of Clonmel owned 1 acre in the 1870s and Stephen B. Gordon of Dublin owned 25 acres in county Tipperary.