Landed Estates
NUI Galway

de Moleyns (Fermoy)


Estate(s)

Name Description
de Moleyns (Lord Ventry) Smith indicates that Frederick Mullins was granted lands in Dingle, which he named Burnham after the family's original seat in England. Lord Ventry owned land in almost all parishes in the barony of Corkaguiny at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. He was among the principal lessors of lands in the parishes of Ballymacelligott, Kilgarrylande, Killorglin and O'Brennan, barony of Trughanacmy, at the same time. His uncle, the second Baron, had bought the Trants' county Kerry estate in 1813 (D 27,862 NLI).The Ordnance Survey Name Books mention David P. Thompson of Tralee as Lord Ventry's agent. William deMoleyns was also leasing several townlands in the parish of Killorglin. Lands in the parish of Kilbonane, barony of Magunihy, had been offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1851. A manuscript note on the sale notice indicates the purchasers were Hunt, Stokes and Booker. Part of Lord Ventry's estate at Ballymoreigh, parish of Dingle, county Kerry and at Ballyshane, parish of Dunmahon, county Cork, was offered for sale in July 1852 and the Cork land again in December 1852. On the latter occasion Mr. Creagh, solicitor,was declared the purchaser in trust. In the 1870s the de Moleyns estate amounted to over 91,000 acres in county Kerry. An offer was made by the Congested Districts Board on over 80,000 acres of Lord Ventry's estate in 1913.
de Moleyns (Fermoy) At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Reverend William de Moleyns held in fee the townland of Glandonohoe, almost 1,228 acres in the parish of Bridgetown, barony of Fermoy, county Cork. The Reverend William was the son of Frederick de Moleyns (sixth son of the 1st Baron Ventry) and his wife Elizabeth only daughter and heiress of William Croker of Johnstown, county Cork, son of John Croker of Tallow. In the 1870s Alured Alemburgh de Moleyns of Folkestone, Kent, England, owned 1,228 acres in county Cork. He was the second son of the Reverend William.