Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Hackett (Co Tipperary)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Hackett (Gambonstown) This family were the senior branch of the Hacketts of Fethard, county Tipperary. ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' states that James Hackett had his grandfather's estate at Killedmond, Ballygambon, Knockburdon and Fethard restored to him by Charles II in 1685. James died unmarried and the family descend from his brother Thomas. The Reverend John Winthrop Hackett and partners held land in the parish of Rathronan, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary in the mid 19th century while other family members held land in the parishes of Baptistgrange, Kiltinan, Peppardstown, barony of Middlethird. Sarah Hackett is listed among the principal lessors in the parish of St. Mary's, Clonmel, barony of Upperthird, county Waterford. In the 1870s she was resident in Dublin but the owner of over 600 acres in county Waterford while the Reverend John W. Hackett owned 164 acres in the county and Richard Pope Hackett owned 120 acres. The eldest son of the Reverend John became the Honourable Sir John Winthrop Hackett. He emigrated to Australia and became a prominent barrister, newspaper owner and citizen of Western Australia. 16th and 17th deeds in the National Library of Ireland document the early generations of this family and their land holding in county Tipperary, see http://sources.nli.ie/
Hackett (Riverstown & Parsonstown) The Hacketts of Moor Park, county Offaly and Riverstown, county Tipperary were a junior branch of the Hackett family of Gambonstown. Simpson Hackett (1763-1848) of Riverstown, county Tipperary, was a banker. In the mid 19th century his son, Thomas Hackett, held land in the parishes of Latteragh, barony of Upper Ormond, Aglishcloghane, Ballingarry, Dorrha, Finnoe and Loughkeen, barony of Lower Ormond. The 2,667 acre estate of Thomas Hackett of Moore Park in the barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary, barony of Longford, county Galway and barony of Clonlisk, King's County (Offaly) was advertised for sale in June 1856. In the 1870s Simpson Hackett of Moor Park, Parsonstown owned 1,789 acres in county Tipperary and 1,441 acres in King's County (Offaly) and Colonel [Thomas Bernard] Hackett of Riverstown owned 1,279 acres in county Tipperary.