Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Howley


Estate(s)

Name Description
Curtis Mrs Elizabeth Curtis of Harold's Cross, Dublin, held three townlands in the parish of Attymas, barony of Gallen, county Mayo in the mid 19th century. She also held lands in the parish of Kilmoremoy, barony of Tireragh, county Sligo. Her agent was Patrick Howley of Broadlands.
Howley (Broadlands) Patrick C Howley held a number of townlands in the parishes of Attymass and Kilgarven, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, from James Knox Gore, and also most of the townland of Broadlands in the parish of Ballysakeery, barony of Tirawley, where he lived in Broadlands Cottage. In 1864, the rental of lands at Ardnaree as well as houses, the property of Patrick Howley, an infant, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The original lease was from Francis Knox Gore to Michael Howley.
Howley (Belleek Castle) The Howley family appear in both Hussey de Burgh and the 1876 Landowners Survey as owners of land in Tireragh Barony, county Sligo. In addition there is evidence from both the OS Name Books and archival sources that they acted as agents for some of the larger estates in the area. The Howleys were also middlemen for a number of landlords in the baronies of Gallen and Tirawley, county Mayo, including the Kirkwoods and the Knox Gores. At the time of the Ordnance Survey in the 1830s they were living in a number of houses in the parish of Kilgarvan and at Belleek Castle, parish of Kilmoremoy, county Mayo. Piers and Mary White offered property for sale in Ardnaree, barony of Tireragh, in 1869. This was held on lease from the Howley estate. In 1871 over 1000 acres in county Sligo including Quignashee and 12 acres at Belleek Castle, county Mayo were advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court. Messers. Litterdale and Davidson purchased some of the lots in trust. Later, in 1876 and 1877, the properties at Quignamanger and Quignashee were offered for sale in the same court. The lease details seem to indicate that this had originally been Jones and Morgan land. The Irish Times reported that these lots were purchased by Alderman Harris and, in trust, by John Boyd and Mr. Barloe. In 1883 Edward John Howley offered for sale lands in the Rathglass area of the barony of Tireragh which he held on a long lease from the Digby estate. In 1906 John Howley is recorded as the owner of over 1400 acres of untenanted land in the barony of Tireragh including a mansion house. The Congested Districts Board later acquired over 1100 acres of the estate of Thomas J. Howley.
Pery/ Pery Knox Gore An estate in the parish of Kilbelfad, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, formerly belonging to the Ormsby family of Cloghan, passed to the Pery family by the marriage in 1783 of Edmond H Pery, 1st Earl of Limerick, and an Ormsby heiress. Part of the Pery estate was in the parish of Ballynahaglish. In 1851 Mrs Pery, nee Knox Gore, bought the McManus estate of Barleyhill, barony of Gallen. The Perys were leasing Belleek Castle from E.J. Howley at the end of the 1860s. They later built Coolcronaun House where the Pery Knox Gores continued to reside until 1964. Their estate amounted to over 5,000 acres in the 1870s. In 1930 most of the estate was taken over by the Land Commission.