Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Charteris (Caher)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Butler (Caher) The Butlers were established at Caher Castle, county Tipperary, from the 16th century. This family supported the Jacobite cause at the end of the 17th century but their estates were restored to them. In 1793 Richard Butler, 10th Baron Caher, married Emily Jefferys of Blarney Castle, county Cork and was created Viscount Caher and Earl of Glengall in 1816. Their only son, Richard Butler, 2nd Earl of Glengall, died in 1858 without male heirs and his titles became extinct. He left two daughters. The eldest, Margaret, married Lieutenant Colonel the Hon Richard Charteris, second son of the 8th Earl of Wemyss, in 1858. Lady Margaret Charteris of The Lodge, Caher, owned 16,616 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, the 2nd Earl of Glengall was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Ballybacon, Caher, Neddans, Shanrahan, Tubbrid and Tullaghorton, barony of Iffa and Offa West, county Tippeary and the parish of Killaloan, barony of Upperthird, county Waterford. In November 1853 an estate of almost 30,000 acres belonging to the Earl was advertised for sale. The sale included lots in the towns of Cahir and Clonmel, the Manors of Cahir, Rehill and Castlegrace, all in county Tipperary and Redmondstown and other property in county Waterford. John Sadleir bought Cahir Castle for £700. Mary C. Lyons gives details of the purchasers. Parts of the estate were advertised for sale again in May 1859.
Charteris (Caher) Lady Margaret Charteris was the eldest daughter of Richard Butler, 2nd and last Earl of Glengall. She inherited her father's extensive estate at Caher, county Tipperary, following his death in 1858. In that year she married the Honourable Richard Charteris, second son of the 8th Earl of Wemyss and March. She built Caher Park as the family home in the locality and in the 1870s owned 16,616 acres in county Tipperary. She was succeeded by her eldest son, Richard Butler Charteris, who continued to live at Caher until his death in the mid 20th century. In May 1859 an estate of 12,369 acres belonging to Lady Margaret Charteris, Lady Matilda Butler and the trustees of the Glengall estates in counties Tipperary and Waterford was advertised for sale. In May 1872 almost 1,000 acres in the barony of Iffa and Offa West was advertised for sale by the trustees of the marriage settlement of Richard and Lady Margaret Charteris. The latter property was sold in January 1873. The purchaser was W. Lane who bought over 900 acres.