Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Clutterbuck


Estate(s)

Name Description
Clutterbuck In 1667 an estate of 2,969 acres was granted to Richard Clutterbuck in the barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. The Clutterbuck family held land in the Caher locality of county Tipperary from at least the mid 18th century as there is a reference to a lease of lands in the barony of Iffa and Offa West from William Austin to Thomas Clutterbuck in April 1748 (see Sadlier rental 15 Feb 1859). Lawrence Clutterbuck of Derryluskan married Margaret, daughter of Henry Prittie of Dunally castle, county Tipperary and their daughter, Catherine, married George Gore in 1774 . Derryluskan then became Gore property. Richard Clutterbuck of Bannoxtown, county Tipperary made his will in 1825. He left his Bannoxtown property to his brother Thomas Clutterbuck of Kilgargy [Kilgrogy] in payment of a debt. In the mid 19th century the representatives of Lorenzo Clutterbuck held an estate in the parishes of Ballybacon and Caher, barony of Iffa and Offa West and Kilconnell and Rathcool, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. The representatives of Thomas Clutterbuck held land in the parish of Coolmundry, barony of Middlethird. The 977 acre estate of the Reverend Lorenzo Clutterbuck in the barony of Iffa and Offa was advertised for sale in June 1870. In the 1870s the Reverend Lorenzo Clutterbuck of Tewkesbury, England, owned 162 acres in county Tipperary. In the year 2000 the auctioneer firm of Whytes, Ireland offered for sale as follows - "Rent book for the estate of Lorenzo Clutterbuck including Lands at Kilgrofy, Tulla, Ballymacadam and Poulator, also a large number of receipts, accounts, details of arrears, lists of tenants etc., 1844-1850 during the Famine period, interesting and important lot. Fair to very good. (60 approx.items) ". Lot 197 on Artfact website see http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/co.-tipperary-:-rent-book-for-the-estate-of-lore-1-c-dzkuxcsh24
Gore (Derryluskan) The Gores of Derryluskan, county Tipperary, were a junior branch of the Gore family of Tyredagh Castle and Derrymore, county Clare. The Reverend Francis Gore married as his third wife Ellinor daughter of Colonel Kingsmill Pennefather of New Park, county Tipperary. Their son George married in 1774 Catherine daughter and co heiress of Lawrence Clutterbuck of Derryluskan. The Gores held an estate in the parish of Rathcool, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary at the time of Griffith's Valuation. All the children of George and Catherine died without heirs. Their youngest daughter Miss Catherine Gore of London is recorded in the 1870s as owning 918 acres in county Tipperary. Following Catherine death in 1875 (aged 100) the estate was inherited by a cousin Georgina Katherine, daughter of Nathaniel Evans of Oldtown, county Cork. In 1828 Georgina married Charles Vernon and in 1876 assumed the additional name and arms of Gore.