Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Maxwell/Perceval Maxwell


Estate(s)

Name Description
Maxwell/Perceval Maxwell The Percevals were related to the Perceval family of Temple House, county Sligo and descend from the Very Reverend William Perceval, Archdeacon of Cashel and Dean of Emly. In 1809 the Reverend Willliam Perceval of Kilmore Hill, county Waterford, married Anne Maxwell of Finnebrogue, county Down. In 1839, their eldest son, Robert Perceval Maxwell, married Helena Anne, only daughter and heiress of William Moore of Moore Hill, county Waterford, nephew of the 1st Earl Mountcashel. William Moore owned land in the parishes of Glanworth, barony of Fermoy and Clondulane, barony of Condons and Clangibbon, county Cork at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s Robert Percival Maxwell of Groomsport House, Belfast, owned 695 acres in county Cork, 2,353 acres in county Tipperary, over 8,000 acres in county Down and a smaller estate in county Meath. His younger brother, William John Perceval Maxwell, inherited Moore Hill. In 1906 he was the owner and the house was valued at £37. The Tipperary estate originally belonged to the Maynards and passed through the possession of the Foulke and Moore families to the Perceval Maxwells.
Moore (Moorehill & Sapperton) In 1851 William Moore was among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilwatermoy, barony of Coshmore & Coshbride, county Waterford. He also held an estate in the parishes of Grangemockler, Templemichael, barony of Slievardagh, Colman and Killeenasteena, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. The introduction to the Perceval Maxwell Papers in PRONI states that the Tipperary estate amounted to 2,353 acres and the Waterford one to 2,251 acres. William was a son of William Moore, a nephew of the 1st Earl of Mountcashel. In 1839 his sister Helena married Robert Perceval Maxwell and the Perceval Maxwells eventually inherited the Moore estate. Stephen Moore was among the principal lessors in the parish of Inishlounaght, barony of Glenahiry, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He owned over 160 acres in county Waterford in the 1870s.
Perceval (Waterford) In the 1870s Rev. William Percival owned almost 500 acres in county Waterford.