Several members of the Foley family owned property in the Lismore area in the 1870s. In July 1875 over 160 acres, part of the lands of Ballygally, was offered for sale by Nelson T. Foley as executor of the Cliffe estate. Earlier, in 1853, Daniel and William Foley had offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court, 75 acres, situated in the barony of Decies-without-Drum, as well as property in the Barony of Barrymore and in Cork City. In May 1864, Thomas Foley, a minor, offered over 700 acres for sale in the Landed Estates Court. This property was situated in the baronies of Decies-without-Drum, county Waterford and Middlethird, county Tipperary. Bence-Jones refers to P. Foley as as prosperous local flour miller in the early nineteenth century.