Annesley/Grove Annesley (Annes Grove)
A junior branch of the Annesley family which bore the titles Viscount Glerawly and Earl of Annesley, inherited the Grove estate of Ballyhimmock, county Cork. The Grove family, originally from Middlesex, had been resident in Caherduggan parish from the early 17th century. In 1666 Major John Groves was granted lands in the baronies of Orrery and Kilmore, Fermoy (inlcuding Ballyhymock) and Duhallow amounting to 2,409 acres. Ion Grove of Ballyhemock married Arabella Blennerhasset in 1710 and it was their granddaughter Mary Grove, only child of Robert Grove, who married Francis Charles Annesley, 1st Earl Annesley, in 1766. Francis and Mary had no children. His nephew Arthur Annesley succeeded to the Grove estate and took the additional name of Grove. In 1814 he married Elizabeth only child of John Mahon of Besborough, county Tipperary. In the mid 19th century the Grove Annesley estate was in the parishes of Buttevant, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, Castlemagner, barony of Duhallow, Castletownroche and Glanworth, barony of Fermoy. In the 1870s Richard Grove Annesley of Annsgrove, Castletownroche owned 1,757 acres in county Cork.