Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Strong


Estate(s)

Name Description
Strong The Reverend Leonard Strong, a church missionary, with an address in Torquay, Devon, England in 1876, held an estate of 926 acres in the parishes of Bohola and Killedan, barony of Gallen, county Mayo in the mid 19th century. According to Emily MacManus, Reverend Strong gave the Killedan property to his son-in-law, James MacManus, in 1853. James MacManus was her grandfather. The MacManus family lived in Killedan for a number of years but moved to England when the land agitation began. 470 acres belonging to the Strong family was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 16 Jan 1901.
Taaffe (Killedan) Killedan townland, parish of Killedan, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, was church land held by the Knox family of Castlereagh, near Killala, who leased it and other lands to the Taaffes. The Taaffes of Killedan were descended from James and Marie Taaffe, Marie was a niece of the Catholic lawyer, Terence MacDonagh. By the time of Griffith's Valuation Reverend Leonard Strong held Killedan townland and James McManus occupied the house. Anthony Rafftery, RaiftearaĆ­, the poet, grew up on this estate. In the 1870s a William Taaffe of the United States of America owned over 800 acres in county Mayo. It is not clear if he was a member of the Taaffe family of Killedan.