Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Leahy (Shanakiel)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Arthur (Limerick) The Arthur family was long established in county Limerick and played a major role in the medieval civic life of Limerick city until Cromwell confiscated their property. An account book in the Special Collections section of the Glucksman Library at the University of Limerick gives details of rents received from Francis Arthur's ownership of property in Limerick city, mainly dating to the 1820s. His property included 149 acres at Coonagh in the North Liberties of the city, property at Arthur's Quay and many other city locations. Copies of 18th century deeds show his title to these properties. Details of Francis Arthur in account with such persons as Thomas William Roche, Lord Glentworth, Patrick Grene of Abbey, the executors of P.E. Arthur, Luke Callaghan of Paris and many others are also recorded. Arrears rentals for Arthur's Quay and other Limerick premises, 1821, statements of yearly outgoings, copies of deeds in connection with a conveyance between Francis Arthur, Ellen Arthur and Daniel Leahy are also included and some family history may be gleaned. Margaret, daughter of Francis Arthur and his wife Ellen Barrett, was married to Daniel Leahy [of Shanakiel, Cork]. Their son David Arthur Leahy held some land in the parish of Killeely, North Liberties, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He was also a trustee of the Cork Athenaeum when it was advertised for sale in June 1863.
Leahy (Shanakiel) David Leahy of Shanakiel, near Cork city, married Catherine O'Sullivan and had two sons Daniel and John. Daniel married as his second wife Margaret daughter of Francis Arthur of Limerick. Their eldest son David inherited the Arthur estate in Limerick and took the additional name of Arthur (see the account book in the UL library for references to Daniel Leahy). The Leahy estate passed to the second son Francis Robert in 1855 and later to his brother Daniel Francis. John and Daniel Leahy held land in the parishes of Clonfert and Knocktemple, barony of Duhallow at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s Daniel Francis Leahy of Shanakill was the owner of over 2300 acres in county Cork and Mrs Leahy of Shanakill owned 675 acres.