Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Smyth (Headborough)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Smyth (Headborough) The Smyths were established in conty Waterford since Elizabethan times. This branch was descended from William, third son of Sir Percy Smyth of Ballynatray, who fought in the rebellion of 1641. Mrs. Catherine Smyth was among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilwatermoy, barony of Coshmore and Coshbride, county Waterford, in 1851. Pierce [Percy] Smyth of Headborough held townlands in the parish of Kinsalebeg, barony of Decies-within-Drum, at the same time. An estate of almost 2,000 acres belonging to Percy Smyth in county Waterford was advertised for sale in June 1867 with the advowson to the living of Rathcormack, Diocese of Cloyne, county Cork. Percy Smyth of Headborough is recorded as the owner of over 3000 acres in county Waterford in the 1870s.