Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Burmester


Estate(s)

Name Description
Sadleir (Ballintemple & Shrone Hill) John Sadleir of London settled at Ballintemple, county Tipperary, in the 1660s having a grant of lands in the barony of Eliogarty under the Acts of Settlement. He married Mary Clements of London. This branch of the Sadleir family descend from their third son, Clement Sadleir of Ballintemple. In 1805 Clement Sadleir of Shrone Hill married Joanna Scully and they had four sons, William of Shrone Hill, James, a director of the Tipperary Bank, John, director of the Tipperary Bank (committed suicide in 1856) and Clement. At the time of Griffith's Valuation members of the Sadlier family held lands in the parishes of Oola and Templebredon, barony of Coonagh, and Galbally, barony of Coshlea, county Limerick. In July 1857 the mansion house and demesne of Coolnamuck, county Waterford and lands in the baronies of Middlethird, county Tipperary and Coonagh, county Limerick, the estate of James Sadlier, were advertised for sale. George McDowell, official manager of the Tipperary Bank was the petitioner. A lithograph of Coolnamuck House is included in the sale rental. Another sale was advertised in June 1861, George McDowell petitioner. Property owned by C.W. Sadlier in the town of Caher was sold in the Landed Estates Court in February 1859 and March 1862. Property in the 1859 sale was bought in trust for Mr. Malcolmson for over £8000 while the lots in the 1862 sale were purchased in trust for the Countess of Glengall. Part of Coolnamuck East and West, and Carrickbeg, county Waterford and Figlash, county Tipperary, in total 1,508 acres, the estate of Clement William Sadlier was advertised for sale in July 1865. Over 1,000 acres belonging to the banking consortium of John William Burmester, Farmery John Law and James Sadlier in the barony of Coshlea, county Limerick, were advertised for sale in November 1857. An estate of 925 acres in the barony of Condons and Clangibbon, county Cork, belonging to the same banking consortium, was also advertised in June 1860 and 443 acres at Shanakill, barony of Ikerrin, county Tipperary in July 1861. This county Cork estate had been purchased from the sale of the Kingston estate in 1855. James Sadlier of Tipperary owned 549 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. John Sadlier bought the Cloonmore estate of 8619 acres in the parish of Kilbeagh, barony of Costello, county Mayo, from the Phillips family in the Encumbered Estates' Court in May 1853. The estate was sold again in the Landed Estates' Court in 1860 following the suicide of John Sadlier and the collapse of his banking and business interests. John Sadleir also bought portions of the estate of the Earl of Glengall at Cahir in 1853. These portions were for sale again in 1857. In the mid 19th century various members of the Sadleir family held land in parishes in the barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary.
Burmester John William Burmester was one of the founders of the London County Banking Company. He was involved in a banking consortium with Farmery John Law and James Sadlier in the 1850s and they bought up a number of Irish estates for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court, including Kylemore in Connemara and the town of Caher/Cahir, county Tipperary. Over 1,000 acres belonging to the banking consortium of John William Burmester, Farmery John Law and James Sadlier in the barony of Coshlea, county Limerick, were advertised for sale in November 1857. An estate of 925 acres in the barony of Condons and Clangibbon, county Cork, belonging to the same banking consortium, was also advertised in June 1860. This county Cork estate had been purchased from the sale of the Kingston estate in 1855. In 1861 Castle Hyde and 2,734 acres in the baronies of Condons and Clangibbon and Fermoy, belonging to John W. Burmester, William Corry and James Andrew Durham, were advertised for sale. This same banking consortium also bought much of the town of Caher, barony of Iffa and Offa West, county Tipperary, which was advertised for sale by the Earl of Glengall in November 1853. Four sale rentals dated November 1857 advertise for sale the Burmester, Law and Sadlier estate at Caher and in the barony of Eliogarty and include a number of lithographs. The sale rental dated 24 November 1857 covers a fee simple estate of over 4,000 acres at Castlegrace, Ballyknockane, Bohernagore, Graigue etc and is annotated with the names of the purchasers. The owners for this sale were Burmester, Law, Sadlier and Clement Sadlier and others. In May 1860, Burmester, Sadlier and Law offered for sale over 300 acres in the barony of Upperthird, county Waterford. This has been part of the Wall of Coolnamuck estate, sold in the early 1850s.