Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Earbery


Estate(s)

Name Description
Crofton (Co Cork) Hussey de Burgh notes Rev. H.W. Crofton as the owner of over 700 acres in county Cork in the 1870s while his representatives are described as owning over 1000 acres around the same time. Much of his estate was inherited from the Earbery family. He was among the principal lessors in the parish of Ballyfeard, barony of Kinalea, Clondrohid, barony of West Muskerry and Aghabulloge and Donaghmore, barony of East Muskerry, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1869, Almost 800 acres of his Kinalea estate was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in 1869. The sale notice indicates that Rev.Crofton had acquired leasehold interests originally vested in the Daunt family from the Earl of Shannon's estate at the end of the seventeenth century. Reverend Henry William Crofton of Inchinappa, county Wicklow, was the third son of Sir Hugh Crofton of Mohill, county Leitrim. He married as his first wife Marcia Anastasia Earbery youngest daughter and co heir of Mathias Earbery Member of Parliament for Lanesborough. The 1876 return of Landowners of one acre and over records Henry Morgan Earbery Crofton of Dublin as the owner of 5,809 acres in county Cork.
Earbery In 1703 the purchase by Matthias Erberry of Ballincollig, county Cork, of the lands of Cahirbaroole, barony of Muskerry, part of the estate of the Earl of Clancarty, was enrolled. By the beginning of the 18th century Matthias Earbery was leasing land in the parish of Donaghmore, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork, from the family of Bishop Crowe of Cloyne, county Cork. O'Connell writes that by 1786 Christopher Earberry held 6 townlands in the locality and that Timothy Mahoney had become his agent. An attack was perpertraited against Mahoney by Whiteboys in December 1788 which led to three executions. In the mid 18th century Matthias Earberry of Inchinappa, county Wicklow, married Elizabeth Barbara daughter of Major Henry Crofton, a nephew of Michael Crofton of Lurga, county Leitrim. Matthias Earberry was Member of Parliament for Lanesborough 1769-1776 and had two daughters, his co heirs. The younger daughter Maria Anastasia married the Reverend Henry William Crofton, a younger son of Sir Hugh Crofton, 2nd Baronet. The Earbery estate passed by this marriage to the Crofton family.