Members of this family were prominent lawyers in 19th century Dublin, where the family had settled in the 17th century. John Litton, fourth son of Edward Litton of Ballyfermot, Dublin, acquired an estate in county Cork by the mid 19th century. Griffith's Valuation records John and James Litton holding land in the parishes of Cloyne, barony of Imokilly and Kilmichael, barony of West Muskerry, respectively. In the 1870s John Litton of Leeson St, Dublin, owned 1,108 acres in county Cork. John Litton died childless and his Cork estate was inherited by his nephew Edward Falconer Litton. John Litton supplied Cloyne with a piped clean water supply in memory of his wife and a fountain was erected to his memory in 1879.