Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Fitzgerald (Muckridge)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Hobson (Cos Cork & Wexford) The first member of the Le Hunte family to settle in county Wexford was an officer in Cromwell's army. By the beginning of the 19th century Richard Le Hunte was resident at Artramont, Castlebridge, county Wexford. Richard's daughter Maria Alicia married in 1820 Samuel Meade Hobson son of Samuel M. Hobson of Muckridge, county Cork. In the 1870s Samuel Le Hunte Hobson of London owned 124 acres in county Cork and 1,464 acres in county Wexford. His estate in both counties was advertised for sale in April 1872. At the same time the Reverend John Meade Hobson of Adamstown, Enniscorthy, county Wexford, owned 970 acres in county Tipperary. In the mid 19th century the Reverend Richard Hobson held land in the parish of Colman, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary.
Fitzgerald (Muckridge) Basil O'Connell writes that Richard Fitzgerald of Muckridge, barony of Imokilly, county Cork bought Rathkeevin, parish of Rathronan, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary. Richard Fitzgerald married in 1804 Catherine Helen Nagle of Garnavilla, near Caher, county Tipperary. They had a large family of whom the eldest Richard Albert Fitzgerald was Member of Parliament for Tipperary 1845-1847. He left an only son whose descendants settled in France.