Landed Estates
NUI Galway



Name Description
Cummins (Cork) A family established in the Cork city locality from the mid 18th century. A number of doctors were among the family members in the 19th and 20th centuries. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Cummins family held land in the parish of Carrigtohill, barony of Barrymore, county Cork. Nicholas Cummins was among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilmeen, barony of East Carbery, at the same time. Houses and premises in the north east suburbs of Cork city belonging to Elizabeth Farren and Nicholas Marshall Cummins were advertised for sale in July 1853. This rental includes a lithograph of part of Glanmire. A county Cork estate of 1,128 acres and some tithes in county Kildare were advertised for sale by members of the Cummins family, devisees of Joseph King Cummins in June 1854. This sale included part of Lotabeg and Myrtleville. The latter property was offered for sale again in July 1863 as part of the estate of Nicholas Cummins. In the 1870s James John Cummins of Cork owned 1,351 acres in county Cork, Thomas Mannix Cummins of Ringmeen, Queenstown owned 684 acres in county Cork and 741 in county Tipperary and John Cummins of Annmount owned 297 acres in county Cork.
Praed In Griffith's Valuation Berkeley [Bulkeley] J.M. Praed is recorded as holding land in the parishes of Ightermurragh and Kilcredan, barony of Imokilly and Carrigrohane, barony of Cork, county Cork. In 1840 he married as his second wife Elizabeth daughter of Patrick Persse FitzPatrick who was the sole heir of her grandfather Colonel John Colthurst of Carrigrohane, barony of Cork, county Cork. In 1854 a note on the sale rental of the Cummins estate shows that Bulkeley John M. Praed bought 837 acres at Ballycrenan. He had one son Herbert Bulkeley Mackworth Praed of Owsden Hall, Newmarket, Suffolk who was created a baronet in 1906. The 1,602 acre estate of Herbert Bulkley Praed a minor at Carrigrohane, barony of Cork and Ballycrenane, barony of Imokilly was advertised for sale in November 1856. It included a house described as a ''good'' residence, occupied by Noble Parker Medical Doctor.