Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Webb (Murragh)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Webb (Cork) John Webb, son of John Webb, a Cork merchant, entered Trinity College, Dublin, in 1788, aged 17 and was awarded LL.B and LL. D in 1805. In 1805 Reverend John Webb of Cork married Miss Foot, daughter of Alderman Foot of Cork city. In 1796 Esther Webb married Francis Roche of Rochemount, county Cork. She was the daughter of John Webb and sister to Reverend John Webb LL.D of The Hill and Rosanna, county Cork. In December 1824 Reverend Dr John Webb married Johanna Waggett, daughter of Parker Dunscombe and they had two sons - John McDonnell Webb, born 1825, and Randal Webb, born 1832. Griffith's Valuation records the representatives of Reverend John Webb holding land in the parishes of Aghabulloge, barony of East Muskerry, and St Marys Shandon, barony of Cork. In the 1870s Anne Webb of Rosanna owned 78 acres, the representatives of Reverend John Webb of Cork owned 314 acres, John McDonnell Webb of the Hill, Douglas, owned 76 acres and the representatives of Randal Webb, Rosanna, owned 85 acres in county Cork.
Webb (Murragh) George Webb from Cambridgeshire settled in county Laois in the mid 18th century. His eldest son, Reverend Richard Webb, was rector of Ringrone, near Kinsale, county Cork and in 1793 married Eliza Browne of Kinsale. They had two sons, Reverend Richard Webb, rector of Caheragh and also of Dunderrow, county Cork and Reverend John Beaver Webb, born 1803, rector of Dunderrow. Richard married Mary Beamish of the Mount Beamish family and in 1843 John married Maria, sister of Robert Maxwell of Islandmore, county Limerick. They had five children and he died in 1852. The Reverend J.B. Webb was among the principal lessors in the parish of Murragh, barony of Kinalmeaky, county Cork, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The Reverend J.B. Webb owned almost 700 acres in the county in the 1870s. In 1878, over 900 acres of his estate in the barony of Kinalmeaky, as well as property in the town of Kinsale, were offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court. The sale notice indicates that the lands at Newcestown, barony of Kinalmeaky, had been purchased from the Riversdale family in 1841. Over 700 acres in Kinalea barony, the property of Richard Webb, Robert Heard and members of the Green family, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in August 1876 and again in January 1877. Richard Webb of Kinsale is recorded as the owner of over 300 acres in county Cork in 1873 while Mrs Webb of Kinsale owned 148 acres.