Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Mitchell (Mitchellsfort)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Mitchell (Mitchellsfort) Originally a Quaker family who came to Cork from Bristol in the mid 17th century. Thomas Mitchell was granted a 2,000 acre estate in the Watergrasshill locality, north of Cork city in the 1680s. Thomas married twice and the Mitchellsfort branch of the family are descended from his son Joshua and the Aghadda branch from Joshua's half brother Thomas. Joshua's descendant Henry Brasier Mitchell held an estate in the parishes of Ardnageehy and Kilquane, barony of Barrymore, county Cork in the mid 19th century. He was the second son of Brooke Brazier of Bally Ellis, county Cork, and his wife Ellen daughter and co heiress of Henry Mitchell of Mitchellsfort, county Cork. He assumed the additional name of Mitchell when he succeeded to Mitchellsfort. In November 1861 the estate of Henry B. Mitchell at Mitchellsfort and Barnardstown, barony of Barrymore, amounting to 1,245 acres was advertised for sale. In the 1870s Henry B. Mitchell of Leimroy Castle, Bangor, Wales owned 557 acres in county Cork.