The head of this old Irish family in the early 18th century was Charles McCarty of Carrignavar, county Cork, who was succeeded in 1761 by his nephew Daniel. Daniel's grandson Justin McCarty married in 1810 Isabella daughter of Caleb Falkiner eldest son of Sir Riggs Falkiner 1st Baronet. In August 1851 parts of Justin McCarty and Robert McCarty's Carrignavar estate (8,493 acres) and their Cloghroe estate (3,080 acres) were advertised for sale and in March 1852 2,799 acres in the baronies of Barrymore and Cork were again advertised for sale. Carrignavar was held under a lease dated 25 March 1755 from Thomas Farren to Daniel McCartie for 999 years. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Justin McCarty held a large estate in the parish of Dunbulloge, barony of Barrymore. He also held land in the parishes of Moviddy, barony of East Muskerry and Whitechurch, barony of Barrymore. In the 1870s his son also named Justin McCartie owned 3,435 acres in county Cork.