Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Morrogh


Estate(s)

Name Description
Bernard/Morrogh-Bernard According to Burke, Edward Murrough married Martha Bernard of the county Kerry family and their son John took the name Bernard on inheriting his mother’s family property. John Morrogh Bernard was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Kilbonane, barony of Magunihy and Killinane, barony of Iveragh at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. Lands on lease from the Bernard estate to John Shea Lawlor were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in January 1856. The Morrogh Bernard estate in Kerry amounted to over 7000 acres in Kerry in the 1870s. Edward Bernard of Killarney is also recorded as the owner of over 900 acres in county Wexford. Walter Morrogh was the proprietor of over 500 acres in county Kerry at this time. In the 1940s the Irish Tourist Association survey makes reference to "a nun (Mother Arsenius) , a member of the Bernard family, who founded the Foxford Woollen mills". The descendants of the Bernard family were said to be living in Italy in the early 1940s. Agnes Morrogh Bernard, later Mother Arsenius of the Sisters of Charity, foundress of the Foxford Woollen Mills in county Mayo in 1892, was a member of this family.
Morrogh The Morroghs were settled in Cork city from the 16th century. They held land in the parish of Caherlag, barony of Barrymore in the early 18th century including Ballyhennick which was mortgaged to members of the Dring family. By his second wife James Morrogh of Cork had 5 sons, Edward, John, James of Doneraile from whom descend the MacCarthy Morroghs, Henry and Andrew. Edward of Glanmire House married in 1809 Christian daughter of Robert James ffrench of Rahassane, county Galway and had a son James. In 1816 Edward married as his second wife Martha second daughter and eventual heiress of John Bernard of Ballynagare, county Kerry. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward Morrogh held land in the parishes of Ardskeagh and Kilquane, barony of Fermoy and James Morrogh held land in the parish of Kilcrumper, barony of Fermoy while Robert Morrogh held land in the parish of Ballycurrany, barony of Barrymore. In March 1870 the estate of James Morrogh deceased, 150 acres at Rathglissane, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, was advertised for sale. In the 1870s James Morrogh of Oldcourt, Doneraile owned over 2,000 acres in county Cork. He died in 1884 without surviving children. Mrs Helen Morrogh of Dublin owned 828 acres in county Cork.
McCarthy-Morrogh James Morrogh, son of James Morrogh of Hyde Park House, assumed the additional name of McCarthy on inheriting the McCarthy property at Innis Beg.