Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Fury/Furey


Estate(s)

Name Description
Fury The Fury or Furey family held an estate in the baronies of Tireragh and Tirerrill since at least the 18th century. Nicholas Fury was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Dromard at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Lands from the Furey estate in the parish of Templeboy, Barony of Tireragh were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1852. Johnston states that the family also had a house at Ardnasbrack, barony of Tirerrill. They had intermarried with the Ormsby family of Castle Dargan.
Ormsby (Castle Dargan) The Ormsby family held property at Castledargan since the end of the 17th century. William Ormsby is recorded as a gentleman farmer in the Census of Elphin in 1749. Houses, fields and premises in the town of Sligo, part of the estate of John Ormsby, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in June 1854. These premises were held under a lease renewable forever between Jeremiah Furey and William Ormsby, dated March 1797. Lands at Coolboy and Shrareagh, barony of Tirerrill, the property of John Ormsby of Castle Dargan, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in December 1855. In 1875 over 1900 acres of the Castle Dargan estate was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. Most of the lots were purchased by Mr. Middleton, described in the Irish Times as "Merchant, Sligo" with one lot purchased by Mr. Maguire. In 1906 John Hosie is recorded as the occupier of the property at Castle Dargan, including mansion house.
Beatty In the 1870s Richard Beatty is recorded as the proprietor of almost 600 acres in county Sligo. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Richard Betty was leasing over 100 acres and a house valued at £6 from the Fury estate in the parish of Dromard, barony of Tireragh. Charles Beatty was also leasing property in the same parish from the Irwin estate, including a corn mill.