Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Morris (Dunkettle)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Oliver (Inchera & Dunkettle) Charles Silver Oliver of Spa Hill, county Limerick and Inchera, Little Island, county Cork, was a younger brother of Richard Oliver Gascoigne of Castle Oliver. In 1805 he married Maria Elizabeth Morris of Dunkettle, county Cork and they had seven children. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Mrs Maria Oliver held land in the parish of Castlelyons, barony of Barrymore, while her son Silver C. Oliver held an estate in the parishes of Ballingaddy, Kilfyn and Particles, barony of Coshlea, county Limerick and in the parishes of Kilshannig, barony of Duhallow, Aghabulloge, Magourney, barony of East Muskerry and Little Island, barony of Barrymore, county Cork and Glenkeen, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Silver C. Oliver owned 2,156 acres in county Limerick, 6,738 acres in county Cork, 849 acres in county Tipperary and 129 acres in county Kilkenny.
Hornibrook John Hornibrook and other members of the family are recorded as the owners of c.500 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. He was the principal lessor in the parish of Brinny, barony of East Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. At the same time William Hornibrook held land in the parish of Dunderrow, barony of East Muskerry. John T. Hornibrook had at least one son, also John, who emigrated to Australia and whose descendents are still resident there. The estate of Thomas Hornibrook, 263 acres at Corran, barony of East Muskerry, was advertised for sale in May 1853. Corran was originally part of the estate bought by Abraham Morris from the Commissioners for the sale of forfeited estates in 1703.
Morris (Dunkettle) A Welsh family descended from Captain William Morris who was granted lands in East and West Carbery, county Cork under the Acts of Settlement. Abraham Morris of Cork, merchant, bought lands in the baronies of Barrymore, Duhallow and Muskerry from the trustees of forfeited estates, 1703. Originally settled at Castle Salem, by the late 18th century Abraham Morris was established at Dunkettle near Cork city. In the 1790s he was elected Member of Parliament for county Cork in a controversial election. In 1851 his grandson, Jonas Morris, married Ellen, only daughter of Silver Charles Oliver of Inchera. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Morris estate was located in the parishes of Shandrum, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, Clondrohid and Drishane, barony of West Muskerry and Ballydeloher and Caherlag, barony of Barrymore. In the 1870s Richard Morris of Dunkettle owned 6,494 acres in county Cork.