Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Phayre


Estate(s)

Name Description
Power (Clonmult) The Power family were located in the Clonmult locality, Middleton, county Cork, from the late 17th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Pierce Power held an estate in the parishes of Britway, Clonmult and Templebodan, barony of Barrymore. Most of his land in the parish of Clonmult was held from Edward Phayre. In 1853 the last renewal of Power's lease was dated 1844. In September 1853 his estate of almost 2,000 acres was advertised for sale. The rental describes Clonmult House as located in a valley sheltered from winds. The Barrymore bog was readvertised in June 1855. Part of the lands of Clonmult amounting to 79 acres, the estate of Thomas Power Lynch, was advertised for sale in March 1878. This land was held on a lease dated 1866 from John Shaw Smith to Thomas P. Lynch.
Phayre/Phaire The Phaires or Phayres of Cork are descended from Colonel Robert Phaire, a Cromwellian soldier and Governor of Cork who died in 1682 possessed of estates in counties Cork, Wexford and Tipperary. His son Onesiphorus Phaire resided at Grange. Successive generations of family members named Onesiphourus and Robert continued to occupy Grange in the 18th century. The Phaire family were related to the Farmers, Purdons, Herberts and Chinnerys. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward Phayre held 3 townlands in the parish of Clonmult, barony of Barrymore, county Cork, while Edmund Phayre held land in the parish of Carrigtohill, barony of Barrymore and Robert Phayre held land in the parishes of Clonmeen and Roskeen, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. Lewis refers to the Pallis estate of R. Phayre in 1837. In the 1870s Robert Phayre of England owned 915 acres in the county. William P. Phair and Mary Eliza Phair were involved in the paper millling business and held mills in the Glanmire locality.