Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Ormsby (Bird Hill & Brookdale)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Twiss An ancestor of this family was agent to the Herberts, Earl of Powis and the family held land and lived in the Castle Island locality, county Kerry, in the 18th and early 19th century. They later resided at Birdhill, county Tipperary which they inherited from Mrs Arthur Ormsby nee Atkins. They also had land at Lower Knockduff, barony of Duhallow, county Cork (see Ormsby entry). Various members of the Twiss family between them owned almost 800 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s. Lands at Ballinturragh, barony of Trughanacmy, the property of Francis Twiss, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in January 1856. The sale notice indicates this property was on lease from the Herbert estate. In the 1830s, the Ordnance Survey Field Name Books record George Twiss as the holder of townlands in the parish of Ballincuslane, barony of Trughanacmy, which he was leasing from Lady Ventry and John Twiss as a proprietor in Dysart parish, leasing from the Herbert estate. In the 1870s George Twiss of Birdhill owned 812 acres in county Cork and 2,706 acres in county Tipperary. see http://www.birdhilltidytowns.ie/the_twiss_family.html
Ormsby (Athlacca) This Ormsby family share a common ancestry with the Ormsbys of Tobervaddy, county Roscommon. In 1666 Captain Arthur Ormsby of Ballyvenoge, county Limerick was granted 6,068 acres in counties Limerick and Cork and Charles Ormsby, a minor, was granted over 5,000 acres in the barony of Coshma, county Limerick, including Athlacka. The county Limerick lands were mainly in the barony of Coshma and were previously the property of the de Lacy family. The county Cork lands were in the barony of East Carbery. John Ormsby who lived at Athlacca in the first decade of the 18th century was a descendant. In 1786 another descendant Arthur Ormsby of Ballygrennan, parish of St Munchins, barony of Pubblebrien, married Maria Vereker, sister of Viscount Gort and had a number of children, including sons John, Maunsell and Henry and a daughter Maria who married Simon Rose of Ahabeg, county Limerick in 1826. Their son Henry Ormsby Rose eventually succeeded to the Ormsby estates. The Withers sale notice for part of the lands of Ballygrennan in the North Liberties of Limerick city records John Ormsby leasing Ballygrennan to George Lloyd for 880 years, date 10 Mar 1802. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Henry Ormsby Rose held land in the parishes of Athlacca and Croom, barony of Coshma. In the 1870s Henry Rose of Paris, a minor, and Miss Rose of Paris, owned 1,374 acres and 422 acres respectively in county Limerick.
Ormsby (Bird Hill & Brookdale) The 621 acre estate of Thaddeus Callaghan at Lower Knockduff, parish of Clonfert, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, was advertised for sale in November 1851. The tenant was Mrs Margaret Ormsby of Bird Hill, county Tipperary, representative of Arthur Ormsby, the original lessee. Her heirs the Twiss family held property at Knockduff, county Cork in the early 20th century. Mrs Margaret Ormsby held an estate in the parish of Kilcomenty, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. She is recorded as the occupier of a house valued at £11+ in the townland of Birdhill. This house may have been situated in the village of Birdhill. She was the widow of Arthur Ormsby of Birdhill, county Tipperary. Arthur Ormsby was a son of Arthur Ormsby of Ballygreenan, county Limerick and Birdhill, county Limerick (died 1795) and his wife Elizabeth Green, heiress to her brother Henry Green. He was a member of a branch of the Ormsby family of Tobervaddy, county Roscommon and was closely connected to the Ormsbys of county Limerick. see http://www.birdhilltidytowns.ie/a_historic_ramble_through_birdhill.html