Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Garde


Estate(s)

Name Description
Garde The Gardes were originally from Kent and settled in county Cork in the mid 17th century. In the 18th century the Garde family were associated with Ballybane, Rathcannon, Polemore, Broomfield, Dunsfort and Ballindinis, county Cork. They were established at Ballynacorra by the end of the 18th century. William Garde of Broomfield and Ballynacorra died childless in 1791 and left his estates to his nephew, Thomas Garde of Ballynacorra and of Garryduff, county Waterford. Thomas Garde was attorney to the Duke of Devonshire in the late 18th century. In 1761 Thomas married Mary Anne Prendergast of Mullogh Abbey, county Tipperary and heir to her brother, Captain Henry Prendergast. Their son, Henry P. Garde, inherited Garryduffe and Ballynacorra and married Catherine Hoare of Annabella, county Cork in 1806. They had two sons, Thomas of Ballynacorra and Garryduffe and Edward of Carewswood. Their daughter, Clotilda, married Francis Rowland of Kilboy House. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the estate of Thomas Garde was located in the parishes of Youghal and Middleton, barony of Imokilly, while his nephew Thomas Hugh Garde held land in the parish of Templenacarriga, barony of Barrymore. John Davis Garde held land in the parish of Ightermurragh, barony of Imokilly. In the 1870s Thomas Garde of Ballinacurra House owned 136 acres in county Cork and 920 acres in county Waterford and Thomas H. Garde and Co of Queenstown owned 341 acres in county Cork. In November 1852 the lands of Garrymore, were advertised for sale, by Charles Sugrue, trustee of estate of Richard D. Garde the younger and John D. Garde. The Reverend Thomas William Garde was curate of the parish of Ightermurragh in 1847 and residentary preacher of Cloyne Cathedral in the 1850s. He was a son of Charles Broderick Garde and grandson of Thomas Garde of Ballindinis.
Lukey At the time of Griffith's Valuation George Bevan Lukey held land in the parishes of Castlelyons and Clondulane, barony of Condons and Clangibbons, county Cork. In March 1852 lands at Kilbarry and Clondillane amounting to 306 acres near Fermoy town were advertised for sale, the estate of George Bevan Lukey of Clondillane. The Freeman's Journal reported that only one lot sold on that occasion; the purchaser was James O'Callaghan Fisher, in trust. Kilbarry was advertised again in 1855 by Lukey's assignee. Kilbarry was held on a lease dated 1813 from William Garde to George Lukey and Clondillane on a lease from Abraham Devonsher to George Lukey dated 1778.